Subject: Re: ~200MB NetBSD with X apps, is it possible?
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Jost Menke <cyberlab@gmx.de>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/02/2005 16:10:17
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 02:42:57PM +0200, Jost Menke wrote:
> > Is there an easy way
> > of leaving out stuff I don't need (e.g. sendmail)? In FreeBSD, you can
> > configure this in /etc/make.conf, by setting NO_SENDMAIL=true.
>
> It's in mk.conf(5): MKSENDMAIL=no

I already read about that file, yet I didn't find it on my system. I'll
check again this evening.

> > Is there another way of saving space (e.g. linking applications
> statically)?
> > Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Afaict statical linking increases space, in runtime and in storage, since
> the libraries are rather 'copied' than referenced.

As far as I understand that, it _might_ save space when an application only
uses a small amount of functions a library provides. But this is just a
guess, I admit.

> I'm getting my Jornada in a few days and will dive into it more. :)

Welcome to the club ;)

--
+++ Neu: Echte DSL-Flatrates von GMX - Surfen ohne Limits +++
Always online ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl