Subject: Re: external mouse support
To: None <rafael2k@terra.com.br>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/22/2003 13:47:54
   Brad,
   Do you know any howto that describes this procedure of using a serial mouse
   in Jornada?
   I think that the hard issue in it is to hack all this softwares, isn't it?

   Thanks,
   Rafael Diniz

I don't know of any premade How-To.  If you use wscons / wsmouse and an X
server that understands that, then moused will do all of the work for you.
I'v been running in the wscons mode for quite a while, but I am afraid I
don't recall if this is the "standard" way of doing it.  Moused knows
about many serial mouse protocols and does the work of translating them
into wsmouse events.  All is happy.  Indeed, I think you can use wsmux and
have the serial mouse and pointer active at the same time.  I seem to
remember doing this sort of thing.

The only annoying complication here is that moused has signed-char issues.
For a very simple workaround one can add -fsigned-char or -funsigned-char
to the compile line for moused.  Sorry...  I don't remember which one is
needed.  The X server doesn't really need to be hacked to use wscons.  It
already has the support, it just may need to be recompiled.  The kernel
for the Jornada already has wscons support in it, and it may just need to
be enabled.

I'v mentioned it before on this list but you may find:

	  ftp://anduin.eldar.org/pub/NetBSD/hpcarm/X11R6_hpcarm/

a handly place.  It has my recompile of X that I run on my Jornada 720 and
the .Xmodmap I use.  The kernel I use is in the directory right above
that, but it is getting a little dated, something like 1.6E generation or
so.  So many things to do and so little time....  one being the time to
update the OS on my Jornada....

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org -- KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]