Subject: Re: kernel config file changes
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@psi.cz>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 06/13/2003 09:42:25
> If nobody complain, I'd like to make some changes to kernel config
> files:
>
> 1) Introduce a GENERIC file, which will not be used directly. JORNADA720
> and IPAQ would include it and define what is really machine-specific.
> (Just like sgimips works). This would avoid duplicating a lot of
> configuration in the two file (or not duplicating: I just discovered
> IPAQ had no mii support. Anyone tried to use a PCMCIA board in it?).
>
> 2) Introduce a PHYSMEM make option, which would specify physical memory.
> Physical memory is not probed correctly, and this causes problems for
> the Jornada 728 (which has 64MB, versus 32MB for the Jornada 720). For
> now, the only way of using 64MB on a 728 is to patch the source file
> where physical memory size is hardcoded. Specifying the size in the
> config file is not perfect, but at least it's better.
>
> 3) Add JORNADA728, which would just define PHYSMEM to 64MB.

It would be nice to go a bit further then a common GENERIC, probably
towards what evbarm looks like.  Adding support for non-StrongARM
processors to the current hpcarm layout wouldn't be as nice as it could
(support for XScale based handhelds should go to hpcarm, shouldn't it?). I
volunteer to break SA specific stuff to separate config/make fragments if
people think it's a good idea...

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek