Subject: Re: audio.
To: None <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/07/2003 15:51:52
Herb Peyerl wrote:
>Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>  wrote:
> > Herb Peyerl wrote:

> > >There is what appears to be some parts of a driver in dev/uda1341.c
> > >by ichiro@ichiro.org but I don't understand how it's all wired
> > >up and what it should be talking to.
> >
> > It is written for the iPAQ, which talks to it using 5 GPIO lines and
> > some EGPIO lines for power control. It doesn't seem to be wired up to
> > any of the audio stuff yet.

>The question I have is, 'how do we _know_ there's a UDA1341 in the
>J720 and how do we know how it's wired up?'

I was going off the Linux source.

The original Linux port to the J720 was done by HP/Compaq Labs using
custom units fitted with flash instead of mask ROM. I would be fairly
confident that the source is correct.

>It's hard to get a grasp on what an audio driver would look like when
>you don't know where things are wired up.  Anyone know of some specific
>document other than the shameful Penguix source?

The SA1111 has the serial audio controller port that is designed to
interface to something like the UDA1341. The iPAQ is the odd design.

By "wired up" I meant that the driver should connect somehow to
/dev/audio, not the hardware design.