Subject: Doom, Quake, mMosaic on Jornada...
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/03/2002 17:57:30
Hello...

I had a little bit of extra time this last weekend, so I did a couple of
ports:

See ftp://anduin.eldar.org/pub/NetBSD/hpcarm/very_unofficial_hpcarm_packages

1) Doom - hpcarm_Xdoom.tar.gz - this is a port of Xdoom, not xdoom that is
in the package system.  The original source I used is available at:

		http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=102688

This should work on 8 or 16 bit color depth X servers and runs reasonably
well on the Jornada.  I'v included the shareware .wad file as well as the
extension .wad file that Xdoom needs.  Just untar this someplace and run
./xdoom.  This engine will also play any commerical .wad files and should
auto detect this fact when it starts.

I'v also included a compile of the sndserver, however given that the
Jornada does not have audio, yet [hint... hint...], this is less the
interesting.  HINT HINT...  [low, whispering, voice ....  port UDA1341
driver to the Jornada, someone, please ....]

2) Quake - hpcarm_quake.tar.gz - this is a port of the Quake 1 engine,
mostly from the package system.  I don't quite understand why the package
system says that this is only from i386 platforms as the Quake 1 engine is
fairly portable, if you don't use the assembly code or GL.

NOTE: This port could really use some assembly code work or other
optimization.  It really isn't very usable on the Jornada, but is kinda
neat anyway.

ALSO NOTE: You will have to acquire a world file yourself, probably from
the quakedata package.

ALSO NOTE NOTE: If you do try this, you will want to start the engine with
-nosound and probably -nocdaudio, as the Jornada does not have working
audio [more HINT...  HINT...]  and will drop core if you don't use the
-nosound argument.

3) mMosaic - mMosaic-3.7.2.tgz - this is a compile of the mMosaic package
for the hpcarm platform.  It is a little different then the official
package, in that I prefer IPv6 support over Multicast.  I'v included a
resource file called mMosaic.res that sizes things a bit better for the
smaller display of the Jornada.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]