Subject: Re: ssh & console only, on hpcarm
To: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/08/2001 20:37:36
According to David Laight:

>Does 'current' contain the latest hpcarm sources?

yes.

> if so what do I
>have to do to manage to build any of current without destroying my
>working 1.5.2 i386 system?

Check out the -current tree into a separate directory (say
/usr/local/src/netbsd-current)

>Parts of the netBSD build scheme seem brain-dead to me!
>(like the global option of what you are going to build, the fact that you
>(seem to) have to install everything you build onto the current system...)

Ah no - you clearly do not understand what the build system can do.
If you set the BSDSRCDIR to be your source directory
(/usr/local/src/netbsd-current/src say) and DESTDIR to be the
destination directory for installing things (/usr/local/installdir,
for example) then you can easily build a -current version without
affecting your current installation.  More details about what you can
set to control the build process is in /usr/share/mk/bsd.README, also
in -current have a look at the BUILDING document for details about the
new build.sh script.