Subject: Re: netboot.lif missing + netinstall experiance
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 04/23/2007 22:53:21
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:08:11 +0200
Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de> wrote:

> I tried to make one from my running hppa 3.99.8 but
> the result of a
>=20
> /usr/mdec/mkboot <<path to netbsd-generic e.g. from kern.tgz>> \
> netboot.lif
>=20
> though it did produce a lif-file,the hp712 just ignored it.
You need to include /usr/mdec/boot as the first file in the LIF image
and the kernel as the second file. I.e.:
/usr/mdec/mkboot /usr/mdec/boot \
<<path to netbsd-generic e.g. from kern.tgz>> \
netboot.lif

> Anyway having this "netboot.lif" as part of the build process
> would be nice; e.g. having it in the installation folder.
> Because without a running machine of the same architecture, how
> could you create it?
You can donload the source and use build.sh to bild the hp700 tools.
mkboot should be build as part of the tools as [tooldir]/bin/nbmkboot.
(Or was it nbmkboot-hp700?)

> - the other downside is that on this slower/older 60MHz version
> of the HP712 that I happen to have the keyboard just does not work.
Does sti(4) attach? Detecting the framebuffer on the 712 is a nightmare.
It broke some time ago. I started to investigate it but had to care
about other things. So it is still broken, unfortunately. It is still on
my todo list but it will take at least two weeks before I can dedicate
some time to this problem again.

For now there are only two ways to solve this: Build your own kernel and
either disable everything wscons(4) related in the config file or hack
the sti(4) driver to attach unconditionaly. The kernel will use the PROM
console if wscons(4) is disabled.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen