Subject: partial success booting a 712/60
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 09/24/2005 12:58:48
Hello all,

recently i got myself a hp712/60 to play with.

I downloaded
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200509090000Z/hp700/

and set up a bootp and tftp server. This part workes well. At the boot
admin prompt I only need to type "boot lan" and the machine grabs the
netinstall.lif and starts. (hey, great job!)

Question: There is a small time-frame to give additional parameters to
the booting kernel. Is there something needed for this specific machine?
Currently I just let it continue.

From the kernel output everything seams supported except the graphics:

"GIO Graphics" at mainbus0 (type 0xa, sv 0x85) hpa 0xf8000000 path 1
not configured

Then comes the harddisk, which I have some problem with.
After several timeouts gives up with the hard disk which is okay because
it is probably broken: " Not ready , Initialization Command Required"

I've no clue wether it is an incorrect jumper setting or something else.
The drive is an HP C3725S. The interface negotiates synchronouse
transfer, so once I get it running. I have to admit I am newbee to SCSI
hardware.

Then comes the typical clock lost warning, but at the prompt
Terminal type? [vt100]

the keyboard is not responsive.

One line above there is a warning:
mount_mfs: Unable to determine file system size
which i cannot state (severe or can it savely be ignored?).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Rudi