Subject: Re: pkgsrc bulk builds
To: David H. Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 08/29/2005 10:34:49
hi,

I ended up starting a bulk build a couple times myself, and the last one
ran for about 2 weeks before crashing with:

	panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map

that was probably due to my using large MFS file systems for /tmp and /var/tmp,
but it did seem that there was more fragmentation of their vm_maps than there
should have been...  looks like the amap-merging code isn't quite working.
I haven't had a chance to follow up on that yet though.

I also got several instances of:

	sd0(esiop0:0:8:0): command timeout, CDB: 0x2a 00 00 30 13 48 00 00 20 00
	esiop0: scsi bus reset
	sd0: async, 8-bit transfers, tagged queueing
	sd0: sync (50.00ns offset 16), 16-bit (40.000MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing

but that didn't seem to cause any problems.  maybe the disk is a little flakey.

the worse problem was that after the kmem_map panic, the file system containing
the pkgsrc tree was pretty badly corrupted... thousands of bad inodes and
eventually fsck dumped core.  I haven't looked into that very much yet.

it did manage to build quite a few pkgs while it was going, though:

# ls packages/All/ | wc
    1378    1378   26989
# wc -l .broken.html
     481 .broken.html

so at this point I wouldn't recommend bothering with another bulk build
unless you're interested in debugging the kernel problems that it exposes.

-Chuck