Subject: pkgsrc bulk builds
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: David H.Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
List: port-hp700
Date: 08/26/2005 20:03:04
Hi all,

I noticed back in your May archives there was discussion about finding
someone to do pkgsrc bulk builds.  Someone had expressed interest, but
the thread petered out.

I have a B180L with half a gig of RAM in it sitting idle (and a decent
internet connection), I can commit it to doing pkgsrc builds if that's
of use, with one caveat.  I'm going to be indisposed for part of
September,
and I'd also like to tinker with the B180L a bit first.  If the
group
is interested, what I'd propose is I wait for pkgsrc-2005Q3 then
do a
build on that, as it may be more telling to use a branch that's
stabilized.

Since I see boot from disk works now, I'm inclined to run things that way,
and just upgrade the hard drive that's in the machine right now to something
that'll handle the space requirements of a bulk build (I have a drive
on-hand
I can use).  But I thought I should also ask: has anyone run into any stability
problems over the long-term after booting from disk (problems suspected
to be related to boot from disk, of course)?

Regards,

David Gutteridge