Subject: Re: hp700 newbie trying to netboot
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 08/25/2005 19:44:42
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:46:19 -0700
Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm trying to netboot and I'm getting:
>=20
> IPL error: bad LIF magic.
>=20
> I think this means I need a kernel of a special format, but I can't
> find one and what I'm reading isn't clear on telling me how to make
> one, if I need to make one.
You need to load (via tftp on new, via rbootd on old machines) a kernel
that is wraped into a LIF image together with the boot loader. You can
do this wrapping yourself when you build the NetBSD tools: Add
.../tooldir/bin to $PATH and run somthing like
nbhp700-mkboot /nfsroot/NetBSD/hp700/usr/mdec/boot netbsd \
	/tftpboot/netbsd.lif

.../usr/mdec/boot is the boot loader, base.tgz contains it.
netbsd is the ELF kernel image. e.g. ungzip netbsd-GENERIC.gz from the
distribution files...
.../netbsd.lif is the target file.

> I'm using the stuff from the latest snapshot right now, is there a LIF
> image in there that I'm not seeing?
You should be able to use:
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200508190000Z/hp700/installat=
ion/netinstall.lif
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen