Subject: Re: HP 9000 Model D330 working?
To: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/31/2005 20:40:41
On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 07:46:01PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
> Hello Jochen,
>
> On 31.05.05, you wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if you could test the machine. I expect it to be
> > supported, given that it is nearly the same as my (knowen to work)
> > D220. (D220 has a slower CPU and a smaler enclosure.)
>
> I tried to install the latest releng build today. However I got stuck while
> preparing the tftpd with the boot loader. The install notes advise to copy
> SYSNBSD from the installation directory of the release to /tftpboot. But
> it's not there. Seems either the build is incomplete or the install notes
> aren't in sync with changes in the boot process.

yea, I need to update the install notes.  or rename the install image.  :-)

> > Beware. The D3x0 machines have a Fast Wide high voltage differential
> > (HVD) SCSI interface. Maybe your disks are HVD SCSI so you would need a
> > helper machine with a suitable HVD SCSI adapter.
>
> There's "differential scsi" printed on them. The frames are much longer than
> a drive usually is. Is there more than the drive inside? Can the drive be
> exchanged? I'm somewhat concerned that Murphy will strike in the moment
> where I have a nicely working system...
>
> > An alternative is to
> > use a temporarily narrow single ended SCSI helper disk. There is a
> > narrow single ended SCSI bus in the machine also, used for CDROM and /
> > or tapes. You can connect the helper disk to this bus and install on
> > the HVD disks.
>
> Hm, I haven't looked inside yet. But it should be easy to find the correct
> cable by looking which one goes to the CD drive.
>
> Is there something special about the SCSI ID to set for the disk? (E.g.
> Sparcs want to have the disk at ID 3) But I hope the HVD SCSI will work so
> that I don't have to worry about this.

there's some confusion about the HVD, I'm not sure if we have a driver or not.
once you get netbsd booted on there somehow (netboot or transplanted disk),
could you post the dmesg?

> BTW: It was said X wouldn't work, but there are X sets in the release?
> Does this machine have X support at all?

oh... look at that, there *is* an xserver set.  huh.

but there's no actual X server for hardware framebuffers in there,
just Xnest and some other virtual stuff.

-Chuck