Subject: Re: HP 9000 Model D330 working?
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/31/2005 19:46:01
Hello Jochen,

On 31.05.05, you wrote:

> It would be nice if you could test the machine. I expect it to be
> supported, given that it is nearly the same as my (knowen to work)
> D220. (D220 has a slower CPU and a smaler enclosure.)

I tried to install the latest releng build today. However I got stuck while
preparing the tftpd with the boot loader. The install notes advise to copy
SYSNBSD from the installation directory of the release to /tftpboot. But
it's not there. Seems either the build is incomplete or the install notes
aren't in sync with changes in the boot process.

> Beware. The D3x0 machines have a Fast Wide high voltage differential
> (HVD) SCSI interface. Maybe your disks are HVD SCSI so you would need a
> helper machine with a suitable HVD SCSI adapter.

There's "differential scsi" printed on them. The frames are much longer than
a drive usually is. Is there more than the drive inside? Can the drive be
exchanged? I'm somewhat concerned that Murphy will strike in the moment
where I have a nicely working system...

> An alternative is to
> use a temporarily narrow single ended SCSI helper disk. There is a
> narrow single ended SCSI bus in the machine also, used for CDROM and /
> or tapes. You can connect the helper disk to this bus and install on
> the HVD disks.

Hm, I haven't looked inside yet. But it should be easy to find the correct
cable by looking which one goes to the CD drive.

Is there something special about the SCSI ID to set for the disk? (E.g.
Sparcs want to have the disk at ID 3) But I hope the HVD SCSI will work so
that I don't have to worry about this.

BTW: It was said X wouldn't work, but there are X sets in the release?

Does this machine have X support at all?

Bye, Chris