Subject: Re: HP 9000 Model D330 working? (SPARC fans)
To: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/31/2005 10:53:53
On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:20:54 +0200
Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de> wrote:

> HP 9000 D Class
> Model D330
This is one of the fastest machines we support at the monent.

> So it seems to be one of those stated to work likely but not yet
> tested. I'll probably have a look into installing it then.
It would be nice if you could test the machine. I expect it to be
supported, given that it is nearly the same as my (knowen to work) D220.
(D220 has a slower CPU and a smaler enclosure.)

> Is there anything that should be done before overwriting the disks
> with NetBSD?
Not from NetBSDs point of view. But if you have some personal data
stored on it...

> The box has two disks in hotswap frames, as it seems. Dunno if they
> are used to make a RAID or something. How would I dd the image to
> them?
Beware. The D3x0 machines have a Fast Wide high voltage differential
(HVD) SCSI interface. Maybe your disks are HVD SCSI so you would need a
helper machine with a suitable HVD SCSI adapter. An alternative is to
use a temporarily narrow single ended SCSI helper disk. There is a
narrow single ended SCSI bus in the machine also, used for CDROM and /
or tapes. You can connect the helper disk to this bus and install on the
HVD disks.

Hmmm. I think the HVD SCSI adapter is not supported. So you would need
an extra narrow disk for NetBSD anyway.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen