Subject: HP 9000 Model D330 working? (SPARC fans)
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/30/2005 23:20:54
Hi,

I was asked to install an old HP machine with NetBSD. HP-UX is installed and
basically working, but the machine sat a long time in a corner and probably
didn't see much updates while it was still in use. So it seems it's time
for some shiny new code... It's quite a fast machine, as far as I heard,
and should be put to some light production work.

It's a pretty big and heavy box. The sticker inside the font door reads:
HP 9000 D Class
Model D330
Product Number A3578A

So it seems to be one of those stated to work likely but not yet tested.
I'll probably have a look into installing it then.

Is there anything that should be done before overwriting the disks with
NetBSD?

The box has two disks in hotswap frames, as it seems. Dunno if they are used
to make a RAID or something. How would I dd the image to them? (Netbooting
is always a bit of work, but I've already used that, so it's perhaps
easier.)

The install notes could use some updating, now that boot from HD is
possible.

BTW: Since it was mentioned here recently, I have asked at the manufacturer

(http://www.nidec.com/ta225dcm/ta225dcm.htm),
| with one exception:
|
| The operating temperature range of M33515 is -10 to +50C; the operating
| temperature range of M34418 is -10 to +70C.
|
| The "-55" suffix designates a wiring harness and connector specified by
the
| manufacturer of the equipment in which the fan was installed.

I've put Papst 612NN in and it got a bit quieter, but I would have expected
more. A smaller model than the 612NN would probably also have been enough
and a little quieter.

Please CC me on reply.

Bye, Chris