Subject: Re: booting from HD, X server for 712 (King Gecko)?
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/30/2005 22:10:00
thusJochen Kunz spake:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:49:29 +0200
> Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net> wrote:
>

>>hm, i do have a SS20MP here as my NetBSD/sparc -current tracker, but
>>it's not quiet. i had a TurboSPARC SS5 before that and this was as
>>loud as my SS20.

in the meanwhile i managed to get a SS4 -- should even be quiter than
SS5 !=TurboSPARC because it's PSU is only rated for 50watts :)

> The SS5-170 (the TurboSPARC) variant is louder then the MicroSPARC II
> based SS4 / SS5 as the later don't need a CPU fan. Unfortunately they
> are considerably slower too.

yip. but i hope sufficient for my purposes. i'll see...

>>(tho not as much as an Indigo2 with MaxImpact -- that's my number
>>one on heat dissipation ;).
>
> Heh. Wait until you get an Octane. My Octane blowes 350 W into the air.
> (300 MHz R12k, 2 GB RAM, ESSI + ESI dual head, three disks.)

hey, i do have one (Octane2/R12k@400/V8/4Gig/only onle 18G HD, tho) and
okay, it blows very well :D. the thing about the MaxImpact is that if
you have it on your desk (like a desktop), then you can put your coffee
mug inline with it's front, a few centimeters on the left from it's
case. there's the hot air getting blown out from the graphics board.
your coffee will stay warm ;)

i recently tried the fastfan option on an octane -- whew!

> Have to check the Origin and the O2 I got yesterday...

time to get my O2 back on, i think. it's a R12k/400A so it's quite fast
and should be very good bulk building pkgsrc.

i had an origin200 back in 2002 -- nice machine. is this a donated one
(i saw sth. on a list, IIRC).

cheers,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.