Subject: Re: booting from HD, X server for 712 (King Gecko)?
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/30/2005 13:30:07
On 30.05.05, 12:17:56, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 11:15:33PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>
> > okay, that's the usual way. but to go there, i still have to netboot the
> > machine, don't i?
> Ether netboot or use a helper machine and dd(1) the LIF image containing
> installation kernel and RAM FS to the disk.
>
> > (presuming that booting e.g. from cdrom is not possible yet.)
> This is something I'll investigate in the near future.
>
> > so how stable does it perform in multiuser level?
> I can't tell. Usually all I do is hack kernel, boot kernel, does /
> doesn't work, halt, hack kernel, boot kernel, ...
> IIRC chs@ has run a build on a hp700 machine before he checked in the
> hack to fix disk booting.
>
> > perhaps it may give a nice little file and mail server ;)
> A perfect appliance: small, low power and noise.

This is slightly off-topic for port-hp700, but if you're looking
for a quiet Terminal with X11, take a look at a SPARCstation 4 or
5. Some of them have really silent fans that you hardly notice
at all. X isn't fast or deep (only 8bpp), but it works ok. I have
set up a small Internet Cafe in our church with SS4 as diskless
X-Terminals and a small Athlon PC in another room as application
server.

on-topic: Very good to see that the port is active, and I'll soon
be able to breathe new life into my bunch of PA-RISC machines.
(715/100XC, 712/100, B180L)

Also time to revive the Series 400 machines (esp. the 425s, soon
to be a 433s, if only I can find a 133MHz oscillator).

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Power Your Net.
		-- Andrew Gillham