Subject: Re: booting from HD, X server for 712 (King Gecko)?
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/30/2005 12:30:18
thus Jochen Kunz spake:
> On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 11:15:33PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>

>>okay, that's the usual way. but to go there, i still have to netboot the
>>machine, don't i?
>
> Ether netboot or use a helper machine and dd(1) the LIF image containing
> installation kernel and RAM FS to the disk.

okay, the LIF is on releng as i saw :)

>>(presuming that booting e.g. from cdrom is not possible yet.)
>
> This is something I'll investigate in the near future.
>

>>so how stable does it perform in multiuser level?
>
> I can't tell. Usually all I do is hack kernel, boot kernel, does /
> doesn't work, halt, hack kernel, boot kernel, ...
> IIRC chs@ has run a build on a hp700 machine before he checked in the
> hack to fix disk booting.

okay, then i'll give it a try as soon as i have some time to fiddle
around with it ;)

>>perhaps it may give a nice little file and mail server ;)
>
> A perfect appliance: small, low power and noise.

yes, the data sheets say that it has a 110watt maximum input (!) PSU and
normally the machine runs on approx. 30watt (including one HD). that's
pretty cool. but not as cool as my Amiga 1200 with 040/40 which used to
be my NetBSD imap server for nearly a year :D

thanks & i'll put a line on my experiences ASAP,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.