Subject: Re: booting from HD, X server for 712 (King Gecko)?
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/30/2005 12:17:56
On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 11:15:33PM +0200, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> okay, that's the usual way. but to go there, i still have to netboot the
> machine, don't i?
Ether netboot or use a helper machine and dd(1) the LIF image containing
installation kernel and RAM FS to the disk.

> (presuming that booting e.g. from cdrom is not possible yet.)
This is something I'll investigate in the near future.

> so how stable does it perform in multiuser level?
I can't tell. Usually all I do is hack kernel, boot kernel, does /
doesn't work, halt, hack kernel, boot kernel, ...
IIRC chs@ has run a build on a hp700 machine before he checked in the
hack to fix disk booting.

> perhaps it may give a nice little file and mail server ;)
A perfect appliance: small, low power and noise.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen