Subject: Re: A little further
To: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 11/15/2004 12:59:20
On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 11:12:53AM -0800, Michael Wolfson wrote:

> If I netboot a kernel, it autoconfigs, then hangs when looking for its
> root filesystem.  I know my DHCP server is OK, but it never seems to
> get the request from the hp700.  tcpdump confirms that the hp700 never
> requests dhcp info.  dmesg below
[...]
> sd0: fabricating a geometry
> sd0: no disk label
> sd1: fabricating a geometry
> sd1: no disk label
> sd2: fabricating a geometry
> sd2: no disk label
> boot device: iee0
> root on iee0
> nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
>
> [hit reset button]
>

> machine check: TOC
The "fabricating a geometry" looks like the already mentioned problem
with booting from SCSI disk. This problem is not bound to SCSI. It is a
general problem. Booting from SCSI disk is only one way to trigger it.
IIRC chs@ tracked it down to a cache flush problem, but was not able to
locate ist exactly. Maybe you will have more luck when you remove the
disks.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen