Subject: Re: Support for 800er machines?
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Weissmann <paul@doorslam.net>
List: port-hp700
Date: 10/13/2004 18:13:22
Chris Amthor [amthor@chroam.de] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a HP9000 sitting around that is labelled E55, nothing
> else. uname -a gives:
[...]
> Since many times these H/W is mentioned together with 700er machines,
> are these any similiar? And the most important: is this machine
> covered by port-hp700 of NetBSD?

The E-Class servers are technically quite close to the
712 workstations, ie most I/O-functionality is implemented
via the same circuitry (LASI). Some functionality however
was taken over from other, more obscure 800s servers and
was implemented via devices attached to the HP-PB bus.
There isn't any publically available documentation for
these HP-PB devices up till now, so no drivers exist.

This means that eg the SCSI controller is not supported
(by any open-source OS), which renders a server quite
useless.

The ethernet and console should work though.

        - paul

--
 the mind cannot win over the matter, for once the mind is asked
 to do too much, it quickly shows itself to be matter as well.