Subject: Re: A180C
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/07/2004 06:59:25
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:37:57 +0200, Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 09:20:19PM +0900, ITOH Yasufumi wrote:
>
> > Are you sure the SCSI host interface is LVD?
> According to http://www.openpa.net/systems/a-class.html it is 8 bit
> Single Ended Fast SCSI. A LVD device should switch to SE automagically.
>
> What is the output of the firmware command "search scsi"?

Thanks guys. I'll check this at work. I'm inclined to think that I
don't have an LVD vs. non LVD issue since the original HP branded
Seagate drive has a big "LVD" sticker on it. I'll have to check the
jumper settings on the drive again to see what's happening (but I
think I already did that). BTW, when I let the machine try to boot
normally, I don't get a scsi bus error, I get a LIF error which might
mean that it did actually try to boot in whatever way it boots, but it
just didn't like what it read.

>> Changed jumpers, still didn't get the serial port working to make a
>> serial console from the NetBSD/sparc64 machine.
>I still think you have cabeling problems. Note that the DB25 of the U5 /
>U10 has the same pinout as a PeeCee (DTE) but the "wrong gender". It is
>no DCE pinout like on a modem. Maybe you should try cu(1) or tip(1)
>instead of fo minicom(1).

Tried tip, didn't work either. And I've never used it before so I may
have it set wrong. I've used minicom quite a bit. For some reason I
didn't get the serial port from my Linux laptop working either, but
when I booted to windows it just started working. But I also don't
know how Linux is labeling the ports either, I think it's ttyS0 but
I'm not sure. I have a few weeks while my colleague is away to use a
windows server machine as my terminal server so I have a while to
figure this out.

I'm using a regular null modem cable connected from the DB9 serial
port on the UltraSparcII to the DB9 serial port on the various HP PA
machines I have here. I'll see if a "normal" serial cable works or
something... Also I'll check those motherboard jumpers on the Ultra5
again to make sure I got it right.

Also tried the DB25 port by the way, that didn't work either. I'll see
if I can find pinout diagrams to figure this out.

Re: stuff not working. I'm not much for coding (not really at all) but
I have patience for testing so let me know if there's anything you
want tested.

Also, didn't realize that netbooting worked that way. I always thought
I needed to compile the kernel strictly to boot from nfs instead of
?... I need to do that on my Dreamcast anyway I think.

Andy