Subject: Re: A180C
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/07/2004 13:40:00
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:06:46AM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> Changed jumpers, still didn't get the serial port working to make a
> serial console from the NetBSD/sparc64 machine.
I still think you have cabeling problems. Note that the DB25 of the U5 /
U10 has the same pinout as a PeeCee (DTE) but the "wrong gender". It is
no DCE pinout like on a modem. Maybe you should try cu(1) or tip(1)
instead of fo minicom(1).

> Ok. I put in another disk, which appears to be largely the same as
> what is in there (other than manufacturer), LVD scsi, 9 gig, even set
> the same scsi ID, and the OpenBSD install kernel doesn't like it. It's
> a Fujitsu disk, and the original one is an HP rebranded Seagate disk.
> But I can't touch that one because it has HP-UX on it. Oh well, maybe
> NetBSD will like it the Fujitsu?
It should. Maybe the disk has problems because it is LVD and you
connected it to a FAST-10 bus? Maybe you need to set a jumper to force
the disk to Single Ended mode.

> And that's where I continue. Time to try to boot a NetBSD kernel I
> think. Then I could install on the local disk (if it recognizes it).
The A180 has PCI Ethernet and the port of the OpenBSD PCI code is still
in progres. (Actually I didn't had the time to work on it for some days
now.) PCI devices are recognized now, but interrupt routing does not
work. (OpenBSD and NetBSD differ quite a bit in interrupt routing on
hp700 hardware.) There is also a problem with the mii/phy part of the
Tulip in hp700 and NetBSD. NetBSD doesn't recognize the phy chip type...
So I am afraid to say: There is nothing real usable now, but you can
expect somthing within a few weeks.

> If not, I suppose I could netboot it, but that would require getting a
> kernel built that wants to netboot...
There is no special kernel needed for netbooting. Ususally all NetBSD
kernels (and most likely all OpenBSD kernels as well) have the net boot
code compiled in. See options(4) "options NFS_BOOT*". The kernel asks
the firmware what device was used for loading the kernel. If the device
is a network interface a netboot is performed, if it is a disk a disk
boot, ... It should just work automagically.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen