Subject: Re: A180C
To: Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/03/2004 06:53:56
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:52:28 +0200 (CEST), Gheorghe Ardelean
<ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> > Ok, I finally got the thing to netboot an OpenBSD kernel from my
> > NetBSD/sparc64 server. Problem is, the serial port on the sparc
> > machine doesn't work for the serial console on the A180C, so I had to
> > babysit it with my laptop. I tried to boot NetBSD, netbsd-SMALL.lif,
> > but all I got was a bootloader claiming that it couldn't find the
> > kernel from whatever interface it was using (lf0? lif0?). I saved the
> > output somewhere but I can't find it.
>
> The serial port on the sparc is by default (AFAIK) RS423 and you have to
> change a jumper on the motherboard to get RS232. Maybe you can check
> which config is yours.

Ahh, very cool. That makes sense. It's a normal 9 pin connector, just
didn't work. I'll look for that jumper.

BTW, I don't think I ever got the serial console working on the A180C
until I went to the motherboard and put a jumper on to force the
serial port as the console. By default it's in autoselect mode between
the web java console and the serial port. I THINK that if it gets an
ethernet link on the web java port it decides to use that, but it
seemed broken and always chose that. The jumper cleared that up real
quick.

Andy