Subject: Re: A180C
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/02/2004 06:45:48
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:39:06 +0200, Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:11:05 -0700
> Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now, part of the reason why I am working on this machine is to make it
> > actually work with HP-UX (funny how that works), so I tried to boot it
> > into single user mode (via some HP instructions) and it booted, but I
> > could not type anything once the # prompt came. I assume some terminal
> > setting problem, but strange that the bios (or firmware) worked fine,
> > just not the HP os in single user mode?
> Maybe HP-UX needs some hardware handshaking. In that case you should use
> "loop back hardware handshaking". Make sure that you have a wiring like
> this:
> 3 ------------- 2               TXD / RXD
> 2 ------------- 3               RXD / TXD
> 5 ------------- 5               GND
>
> 7 -+         +- 7               RTS
> 8 -+         +- 8               CTS
>
> 6 -+         +- 6               DSR
> 1 -+         +- 1               DCD
> 4 -+         +- 4               DTR
>
> i.e. connect pin 2 of one connector to pin 3 on the other and vice
> versa. Connect pin 5 of one connector to pin 5 on the other. Shorten
> pins 7 to 8 and 6 to 1 to 4. (If you want real hardware handshaking
> connect pin 7 of one connector to pin 8 on the other and vice versa.)
>
> > Anyway, working on cross building a current kernel on the
> > NetBSD/sparc64 machine for hp700 (there's a combination for you) and
> > then booting it off the net from the NetBSD/sparc64 machine.
> You can not build hp700 on LP64 machines due to bugs in GCC. You will
> get internal compiler errors.

That's good information. Thanks. I did end up getting the console
working well enough on HP-UX to run sam and get the thing all cleaned
up. It's now on the network, hopefully I won't have to use the console
much in HP-UX, it's ugly.

I'm going to download some kernels and try netbooting them for the
heck of it. I also need to bring in another network card for the sparc
machine because I'm sure I'd get shut down if I started running
broadcast protocols on our network... I'll send you a dmesg if
possible.

Andy