Subject: Re: Autoconf-ing mklifboot
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: ITOH Yasufumi <itohy@netbsd.org>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/12/2004 11:35:54
In article <20040611193230.3527f773.jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de writes:

> Installboot has no hp700 support and disklabel doesn't interact well
> with this boot code. I.e. disklabel overwrites parts of the first stage
> boot loader. ...

Building disklabel(8) with -DSAVEBOOTAREA or -DNUMBOOT
might help to preserve the boot block.

> I'll now try to get sdboot, boot, disklabel(8), installboot(8) and the
> kernel into sync.

I'll try to do some clean up, too.

In article <20040611105825.3a9e113a.jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de writes:

> Is this 8 kB boot block area of FFS simply the first 8 kB of a partition
> / slice? I.e. the first 8 kB of a FFS is never touched by FFS code?

The top 8KB is reserved for boot code on FFS and LFS.
The UFS2 version of FFS seems to leave more space, but I didn't need so much.

> > I'm not sure which way is to go.
> I am unsure too. I wasn't able to find any documentation about what a
> hp700 machines expects where on disk too boot.

PA-RISC 2.0 Firmware Architecture Reference
Processor Dependent Code (PDC) Procedures (Part 2/2)
 http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/docs/arch/pdce.pdf

has minimal information about Initial Program Load (Section 1.6).
This document is for PA-RISC 2.0, but it says that the data format
is not changed for 2.0.
--
ITOH Yasufumi