Subject: Re: Autoconf-ing mklifboot
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/11/2004 10:58:25
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:35:36 +0900 (JST)
itohy@netbsd.org (ITOH Yasufumi) wrote:

> Another solution is to use a first-stage boot loader that fits in
> normal 8KB boot block area of FFS.
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/itohy/hp700-sdboot-20031216.shar.gz
I'll have a look at it. With restructuring the LIF tools and hp700 MD
disklabel parts it looks like a good occation to do a general cleanup of
the hp700 boot code.

Is there somwhere documentation about how a disklabel is build / laid
out, how boot code interfaces with FFS, ... (This is the first time I
mess around with disklabel and FFS internas.)

Is this 8 kB boot block area of FFS simply the first 8 kB of a partition
/ slice? I.e. the first 8 kB of a FFS is never touched by FFS code?

> I'm not sure which way is to go.
I am unsure too. I wasn't able to find any documentation about what a
hp700 machines expects where on disk too boot.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen