Subject: Snapshot (was: Re: Build Failure)
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/11/2004 14:52:58
On Jun 9, 2004, at 23:29:05 Michael Wolfson wrote:

> A snapshot (even if not fully functional) would also be good.
> Let me know and I'll add it to the news items.
OK. I uploaded my snapshot:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp700/snapshot/20040521-2.0E/

This is the included README.TXT:

PRELIMINARY HP700 SNAPSHOT.

This stuff is far away from being usable for real work. The kernel crashes
when booting from disk. It boots with diskless NFS root to single user,
but will crash sooner or later.

Direct booting from disk is broken. You have to netboot a kernel with
"-a" and enter "sd0" when it asks for the root device.

There is a libpthread included, but this is only for completeness.
Libpthread will not work.

The GENERIC kernel is too big. It can't be booted due to a bug in the
bootloader. Use the SMALL kernel. binary/kernel contains:
boot.lif.gz             LIF image containing only the boot loader
netbsd-GENERIC.gz       GENERIC Kernel, ELF
netbsd-SMALL.gz         SMALL kernel, ELF
netbsd-SMALL.lif.gz     boot loader and SMALL kernel, LIF.
Decompress netbsd-SMALL.lif.gz and use it for netbooting.

When you configure your own kernel make sure to include "options COMPAT_16".
This is needed because of unfinished work on __sigreturn14.

The included source src-20040521-with_patches.tar.gz is a complete copy
of my local source tree and includes the patches needed to get this
release build. (Some patches are ifdef-ed with __sgi. This is only needed
if you build on a SGI machine running IRIX.) This patches range from
trivial fixes through unfinished to ugly hacks.
srcsys-20040521-with_patches.tar.gz is the kernel source only. (Kernel
source is also included in src-20040521-with_patches.tar.gz.)
The folowing command line can be used to see what is patched:
for a in `find src -name "*.orig"` ; do diff -u $a ${a%.orig} ; done

My build.sh parameters are:
./build.sh -m hp700 \
        -D /home/NetBSD/current/destdir/hp700 \
        -O /home/NetBSD/current/objdir/hp700 \
        -T /home/NetBSD/current/tooldir \
        -R /home/NetBSD/current/releasedir \
        -V NAMED_USE_PTHREADS=no -V CHECKFLIST_FLAGS='-e -m' -V MKGDB=no \
        -U release

Acknowledgements:
Chuck Silvers for patiently answering my stupid questions. ;-)
Zach Lowry and Nick Hudson for taking care of the LIF tools.
Nick Hudson for fsck-ing ld.elf_so.
Paul Weissmann for providing http://www.openpa.net/
Everyone else I forgot. ;-)
--