Subject: Re: Autoconf-ing mklifboot
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/10/2004 21:00:31
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:06:18 +0100
Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org> wrote:

> well, I've hacked together src/tools/hp700-mkboot and sent it to Zach
> for testing.  The next step was to merge the hp300 and hp700 stuff...
> I'll look into using the sources you mention at that point.
An other issue with mkboot / LIF tools poped up while talking to chuq:
A hp700 disk is made bootable by writing a LIF image, that contains the
boot loader, into the first disk cylinder. (dd if=3D/usr/mdec/boot.lif
of=3D/dev/rsd0c) Consequence: The disklabel is in the LIF image. See
comment about "New Format:" in src/sys/arch/hp700/stand/mkboot/mkboot.c.
The first cylinder must not be used by any partition (except "c") to
leave room for boot.lif. So the hp700 disklabel(8) needs to know about
the LIF format. Currently writing a disklabel destroys the LIF image. I
think it would be best to wait for the new LIF tools and then sort out
the disklabel problems.=20

IIRC hp300 does the same. (The last time I used NetBSD hp300 was to
bootstrap plain, old, vanilla 4.4BSD Lite on my 433t. ;-) )
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen