Subject: Re: PA-RISC 2.0 support
To: None <rorsten@tartarus.ca>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/09/2004 22:10:31
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 12:50:13 -0600
Reid Orsten <rorsten@tartarus.ca> wrote:

> In the __sigreturn14 thing, with a bit of reading I could do the FPU
> context saving stuff (unless there's a big issue that I missed), but I
> don't quite get the problem with the flag checking thing, mostly due
> to lack of experience with this level of the system.  Are there any
> decent docs that I could check out to fix this?
Please let me know when you can find any docs. I am more or less exately
as blind as you in that corner of my eye. :-(
It looks like you need some pthread related syscalls for fixing the
__sigreturn14 issue. So the pthread MD bits may be a prerequirement.

> I also took a look at what TLB/PTE stuff I could find, and at my
> experience level, adding 2.0 support is not something I'd do in a
> couple weeks, nevermind an afternoon.
Same for me. At one point someone has to do it. Most likely me. I really
need to get some knowledge about the pmap stuff and that is an excelent
"learning by doing" exercise.=20

> Anyway, I'll try my hand at doing wscons and fixing __sigreturn14, and
> hopefully that'll be enough of a warm up for me to do something
> bigger.
IIRC OpenBSD has wscons, so you can reuse the existing code. Importing
this sounds like a reasonible project to start with kernel hacking. If
you are not familar with NetBSD driver hacking you may have a look at
the guide I wrote for an introduction:
http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/NetBSD/
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,