Subject: Re: Autoconf-ing mklifboot
To: Zach Lowry <zach@zachlowry.net>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/09/2004 08:43:36
hi,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 10:13:57AM -0500, Zach Lowry wrote:
> Next on my todo list is trying to make mklifboot/mkboot more portable.
> It seems that mklifboot references headers in sys/sys, when then in turn
> reference header files from machine/, such as machine/endian.h. This
> file is not located there on Linux, however. Is autoconf the best tool
> for determining the locations of these files, as suggested by Jochen?
> Or, should I put #ifdefs in the files in sys/sys? Or is there an even
> better solution?

gregory mcgarry sent me his implementation of the HP LIF tools a while back,
I put the sources at
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/chs/hp700/netbsdlif.zip

maybe that will be a better starting point than the existing mkboot.

I figure that it would be better to have a general tool for manipulating
LIF files rather just than a special-purpose tool that can only make
HP boot images.  I'd like to see one command that can do all the operations
(like pax) rather than separate commands for each.  so instead of HP's

	lifinit
	lifls
	lifrm
	lifcp
	lifrename

we'd have

	liftool create
	liftool ls
	liftool rm
	liftool cp
	liftool rename

(or whatever the names would be)

then eventually we can replace both the hp300 and hp700 mkboot programs
with the new liftool.

-Chuck