Subject: Re: Autoconf-ing mklifboot
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/08/2004 23:44:34
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:13:57 -0500
Zach Lowry <zach@zachlowry.net> wrote:

> Next on my todo list is trying to make mklifboot/mkboot more portable.
> It seems that mklifboot references headers in sys/sys, when then in
> turn reference header files from machine/, such as machine/endian.h.
> This file is not located there on Linux, however.
Be prepared: This is a horrible include mess. There is a near endless
chain of dependencys.

> Is autoconf the best tool
> for determining the locations of these files, as suggested by
> Jochen?
I sugested autoconf only because some people seem to like it. I don't
like it. I saw it failing too often, especially on non-GNUified, non-GCC
systems. Fighting with a failing autoconf script can be a nightmare.

> Or, should I put #ifdefs in the files in sys/sys? Or is there an
> even better solution?
One big problem was sys/exec_elf.h and its dependencys. Maybe you can
find a "self containd" variant of elf.h? (Binutils?)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen