Subject: Re: Build Failure
To: Zach Lowry <zach@zachlowry.net>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/03/2004 19:49:55
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 06:39:24 -0500
Zach Lowry <zach@zachlowry.net> wrote:

> The above happens on the Linux and 2.0e platforms.
Looks like a Linux speciffic problem. Or maybe a inproper invocation of
build.sh? I used this on IRIX:
./build.sh -m hp700 \
-D /home/NetBSD/current/destdir/hp700 \
-O /home/NetBSD/current/objdir/hp700 \
-T /home/NetBSD/current/tooldir \
-R /home/NetBSD/current/releasedir \
-V NAMED_USE_PTHREADS=no -V CHECKFLIST_FLAGS='-e -m' -V MKGDB=no \
-U -u release

> On 1.6.2, I get this:
>=20
> #      link  dig/dig
> /usr/cross-hp700/bin/hppa--netbsd-gcc -Wl,-nostdlib     -o dig  =20
> -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/clients/hp715/root/lib:/home/clients/hp715/root/
> usr/lib  -L/home/clients/hp715/root/lib  =20
> -B/home/clients/hp715/root/usr/lib/
> -B/home/clients/hp715/root/usr/lib/ =20
>    dig.o dighost.o -L/usr/src/usr.sbin/bind/libbind9/obj.hp700 -lbind9
> -L/usr/src/usr.sbin/bind/libdns/obj.hp700 -ldns =20
> -L/usr/src/usr.sbin/bind/liblwres/obj.hp700 -llwres =20
> -L/usr/src/usr.sbin/bind/libisccfg/obj.hp700 -lisccfg =20
> -L/usr/src/usr.sbin/bind/libisccc/obj.hp700 -lisccc =20
> -L/usr/src/usr.sbin/bind/libisc/obj.hp700 -lisc -lpthread   =20
> -L/home/clients/hp715/root/usr/lib -L/home/clients/hp715/root/usr/lib
>=20
> *** Failed target:  dig
I don't see the real error messgae. Did you redirect output from the
build to a file? Did you redirect stderr to the same file? E.g. somthing
like "./build.sh > build.log 2>&1 &"

> Any clue?
Currently libpthread is missing the hp700 machine depentent (MD) parts
and the hp700 kernel also misses some MD syscalls to support threads. So
anything that depends on libpthread is broken. Since the recent import
of bind9, named and the libc resolver use libpthread. You can use the
option "-V NAMED_USE_PTHREADS=3Dno" to build.sh to disable pthreads for
named. I don't know if there is somthing for the resolver in libc. My
source is from 2004-05-19, this is after bind9 named was imported but
before libc was converted to the new pthread using bind9 resolver code.
So I can't help you with the resolver. Maybe you are able to investigate
this? ;-)

There are other things that break release building for hp700. I will put
my local patches on
http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/tmp/dayly_NetBSD.patch
This patches add stubs to libpthread, so that a hp700 libpthread is
build, but it will not work. There are also some patches included to get
NetBSD cross compiled on SGI IRIX. You don't need them, but they should
not hurd as they are #ifdef-ed.

Note that NetBSD/hp700 is currently not ready for prime time. Beside the
libpthread problems there is a bug in the kernel that causes random
crashes. I still was not able to locate the problem. It looks like a
broken trap handler or somthing like that. Very unpleasent to debug, as
the symtoms change when you add debug code...

BTW: Due to a bug in the bootloader you can't load a "GENERIC" kernel.
It is to big. Use a "SMALL" kernel instead.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen