Subject: Re: status of port-hp700?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 12/16/2003 10:40:22
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 04:52:38 +0100 (CET)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> wrote:

> can anyone give a rough overview of the state of the hp700 port?
> what's there, what's missing, ETA?
Currently "working" machines:
- later 7xx series like 715 (any model) and 712
- 32 bit / PA7xxx CPU based [BD] class machines

Machines that may work. I couldn't test them, no hardware:
- 32 bit / PA7xxx CPU based [ACJK] class machines.=20
- 73x, 74x

Machines that don't work:
- any PA8000, i.e. 64 bit machine
- earlyer 7xx machines like 705, 710, 720, 750.=20
  It may be easy to get this 7xx machines going, but I didn't have
  the time to care about that yet. More durung Christmas break.
- old 8xx machines based on PA1.0 CPUs and / or HP-PB bus like
  82x, [EFGHITV] calass. They will never be supported.

We are still at singler user state. Usually it crashes earlyer or later
when it does "real" work. Last time I checked I got a crash when I run a
simple ls(1) command on a local disk. Diskless via NFS seams to work
better, but there are problems with the ie(4) Ethernet driver...

I concentrate my work on kernel issues. I can't care about everything.
At the moment I am writing a new Ethernet driver from scratch to replace
ie(4). Next thing is to get the older 7xx working. Maybe I can get some
PA8000 machines like the C240 working in 32 bit mode. I haven't checked
this yet, so I can't say if it is possible at all. Maybe I have to port
the PCI support from OpenBSD prior to this.

There is definitely nothing ready for real use.=20
ETA? Good question, next question.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen