Subject: Re: HP J282 EEPROM
To: Kirill Levchenko <kirill@lava.net>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 10/30/2003 09:48:29
On 2003.10.30 00:18 Kirill Levchenko wrote:

> While on my way to try out Jochen's new kernel on my J282, I got the
> following error on the LCD:
>
> 	FLT  3004
> 	PDH
>
> The Service Handbook says this is CHASSIS_FATAL_ERR_WRITING_EEPROM:
> "Fatal Error occurred writing to EEPROM."
Did this happen when you tried booting the kernel?
The kernel and the boot loader should not write to the NVRAM or
STABLE_STORAGE. It would be bad if they do.

> Is this something that can be fixed by replacing the EEPROM?
> If so, does anyone know what kind of EEPROM chip it is?
Maybe somthing got loose during transportation? Somtimes this can be
cured by opening the machine, reseating all cards and pressing on all
socketed chips.

Note that the J282 is a PA8000 i.e. 64 bit machine. (Does it have single
or dual CPU? AFAIK J28_2_ indicates dual.)  Maybe it will crash very
early during boot, maybe it will just run in 32 bit mode. I have no
PA8xxx machine to test, but I will get a C240 in some weeks.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen