Subject: Re: Cross-compiling on NetBSD/alpha
To: Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 10/24/2003 17:16:32
On 2003.10.24 16:02 Jaap Boender wrote:

> I've been trying to cross-compile NetBSD-current for hp700 on
> an Alpha which also runs NetBSD.
[...]
> Then, the actual compilation failed with the following error:
> /usr/src/sys/miscfs/procfs/procfs_vnops.c: In function
> `procfs_readdir':
> /usr/src/sys/miscfs/procfs/procfs_vnops.c:1282: error: unrecognizable
> insn:
[...]
> /usr/src/sys/miscfs/procfs/procfs_vnops.c:1282: internal compiler
> error: in extr
> act_insn, at recog.c:2175
I know this errors. I tried to X-build hp700 on an Alpha too.
Unfortunately there is only one thing that you can do: Blame the GCC
people. GCC has problems (to be polite) when X-compiling (on a non-i386
host), especially if the compile host is 64 bit and the target is 32
bit. I had similar problems when X-building e.g. sparc on a sparc64
machine.

So all I can recommend is: get a 32 bit machine for X compiling hp700. I
do all my hp700 developement on a PowerPC machine. I tried it on SPARC
too and it worked there also.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen