Subject: hp700 small snapshot update
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Fredette <fredette@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
List: port-hp700
Date: 09/05/2002 14:11:22
Hi!  I've been doing a little hp700 work lately.  While I don't have a new
snapshot, I do have a small update that should address the problems people
were seeing with the last snapshot.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/fredette/hp700/hp700-update-20020905.tar.gz

This tarball contains a new bootable LIF image, a new kernel, and a new
/usr/libexec/ld.elf_so, to replace those in the 2002-07-06 snapshot.

I've tested this on a 712/80, 715/50, and a 735/99.  Highlights:

- No more BTLB entry waste.  The kernel used to run out of BTLB entries
  on a 712/80, which only has eight.

- Better pmap memory usage.  The pmap used to consume a gratuitous
  amount of memory for its data structures.

- A workaround for a still-misunderstood cache behavior has been added to
  ld.elf_so.  This lets dynamic executables work on a 735/99.

- "ie0: receive descriptors out of sync" are now rare.  They still
   happen, but not nearly as much as they did before.

- On many machines that have them, the network transmit, network receive,
  and SCSI LEDs blink, and the load average is displayed on the "other" LEDs.

--
Matt Fredette