Subject: Re: Netbooting an HP C110
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/29/2002 20:13:29
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 @ 11:50pm (-0400), John Klos wrote:

JK> Hi,
JK>
JK> I just got an HP C110 which I'd like to get to work with NetBSD.
JK> Naturally, I wanted to start by trying to boot the current netboot image
JK> (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp700/snapshot/20020706-1.6D/installation/lifboot/SYSNBSD.gz),

...try the next pervious snapshot (newer userland is fine).  People have
reported problems with the newer one at boot time.

-lava

JK> but after I type "boot lan" all I get at the console is this:
JK>
JK> IPL error: bad LIF magic.
JK>
JK> This happens whether I answer yes or no to:
JK> Interact with IPL (Y or N)?>
JK>
JK> Note that I am using bootp because the HPPA Linux page says that newer
JK> machines don't use rbootd.
JK>
JK> I have these files set up - /etc/bootptab:
JK>
JK> hp.sixgirls.org:\
JK>         :ht=ether:\
JK>         :ha=0060b0076284:\
JK>         :sm=255.255.255.0:\
JK>         :lg=192.168.1.1:\
JK>         :ip=192.168.1.122:\
JK>         :to=7200:\
JK>         :bf=SYSNBSD:\
JK>         :td=/tftpboot:
JK>         :rp=/export/client/root/:
JK>
JK> and I have tftp and bootps uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf.
JK>
JK> Does anyone know what I need to do to make the HP's firmware happy enough
JK> to load the kernel? I doubt it will work, but I want to get it at least to
JK> pull and try to boot so I can start playing with getting some of the
JK> OpenBSD code into the NetBSD tree for this specific system.
JK>
JK> Thanks very much,
JK> John Klos
JK> Sixgirls Computing Labs

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973

"GNU/Linux: About as stable as the elements at the bottom of the periodic table"