Subject: netbooting a PA-RISC 712/80
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Jiro Kage <kage@leviathan.org>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/11/2002 21:46:34
Hello everyone, I recently acquired two HP PA-RISC 712/80 machines
that I wanted to hook up to the network here.  Unfortunately, the
HPUX loadout installed (version 9 I believe) was bad, and the machines
drop into the bootloader fairly soon after trying to select a system
to boot.  Therefore, I went to the next best thing:  NetBSD.  Pretty
good docs, but I'm having some issues.  Unfortunately, I'm not quite
sure, and the docs aren't too too clear as to which file to use as the
install kernel.  I want to serve the install kernel over, then let it
do an install from net.

Another x86 netbsd machine is going to serve up the netbooting, and so
far it has managed to serve through bootpd the proper file (I think?)
and it also assigns the correct ip address for it (192.168.1.110) through
arp.  It never shows anything other than selecting a system to boot,
and then drops me back into the bootloader.  The sample output from the
host machine serving the kernel looks like so (mac address changed to
protect the innocent):

bootpd: info(6):   recvd pkt from IP addr 0.0.0.0
bootpd: info(6):   bootptab mtime: Wed Jul 10 10:48:33 2002
bootpd: info(6):   request from Ethernet address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
bootpd: info(6):   found 192.168.1.110 (tapeserv)
bootpd: info(6):   bootfile="/tftpboot/SYSNBSD"
bootpd: info(6):   vendor magic field is 99.130.83.99
bootpd: info(6):   sending reply (with RFC1048 options)
bootpd: info(6):   setarp 192.168.1.110 - XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
bootpd: info(6):   arp -d 192.168.1.110; arp -s 192.168.1.110 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX temp

After this, it simply waits, and the HP box drops right back into bootloader.
I have a sneaking suspicion that possibly there is an issue with tftp
serving up the kernel - is this a likely possibility?

To sum it up:
1) Which kernel do I serve to perform an over the net install, ie which has all the utilities for an install?
2) Will this system work fine with NetBSD?  (its not listed explicitly, but the
hardware seems to match closely)
3) What should happen next, and what could be causing this problem?

Cheers!

Jiro
"If it's got Gates, or got Windows, its not Open."