Subject: new snapshot
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Fredette <fredette@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
List: port-hp700
Date: 06/05/2002 10:06:39
Hi!  There is a new binary snapshot of NetBSD/hp700 available under:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp700/snapshot/20020604-1.6A/

Check your local mirror for a copy.

General Notes:

0.  Again, this whole project started with Michael Shalayeff's
    OpenBSD/hppa port.  Without his work as the foundation
    I'd be nowhere.

1.  This is really, really alpha stuff.  No foolin.  Use at
    your own risk.  I keep the power to my HP/UX drive
    disconnected while testing.

2.  This snapshot has been tested by me on exactly one machine:
    An HP 9000/715/50 with 48MB of RAM and a serial console.
    Other people reported success with the previous snapshot on
    other machines, and this snapshot should also work on them.

3.  There is no new machine support in this snapshot.  If your
    machine didn't work with the previous snapshot, it won't
    work with this one, either... sorry!

4.  This is very much a netboot/diskless-only snapshot.  There
    is no support for booting off of disk, or mounting root
    on a disk.  This will change once I start committing and
    can work with itohy to incorporate his work in this area.

Known Problems:

1.  You will see "ie0: receive descriptors out of sync" and
    "ie0: reset" messages.  While I haven't debugged these yet,
    I'm pretty sure they're due to a cache coherency issue.
    This problem does *not* seem to affect system stability,
    which is why I haven't dealt with it yet.

How To Use It:

Setting up to run diskless is similar to other architectures.
The hp700 page of the Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO, at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.hp700.html

should fill in the hp700-specific details.  To set up a serial
console, see the FAQ entry at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hp700/faq.html

So try out the snapshot, and report success and failure to the list.
Thanks!

Matt

--
Matt Fredette