Subject: Re: sneak preview: hp700
To: Matt Fredette <fredette@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 02/01/2002 15:43:30
Matt Fredette writes:
- > Might I suggest something, however? :-)
- >
- > Can you split the PA-RISC generic code into sys/arch/hppa and leave the
- > hp700-specific code in sys/arch/hp700?  This might make it easier to
- > support PA-RISC machines that are not hp700-like in the future.
-
- OK, I'll start working on identifying the bits to move.  I didn't
- know there were PA-RISC machines outside of the hp700 (speaking broadly)
- series.

	As a little background:  HP produced 9000/600, 9000/700,
and 9000/800 series machines with PA-RISC chipsets.
Workstations got the 600 and 700 series numbers while servers
got the 800 series numbers.

	The only non-HP PA-RISC systems I am aware of is (was)
the CONVEX SPP-1X00 and SPP-2X00 systems, and Tadpole's
PrecisionBook.

	The CONVEX SPP-1X00 systems have an SBUS IO bus, Open
Firmware, and all sorts of other little oddities.  The SPP-2X00
systems are the same as the V2X00 systems, which have PCI buses
and the like.

	I _think_ the PrecisionBook is a 712/100 wedged into a
laptop case.. :-)

	Personally, I'd figured on the entire port mutating from
hp700 into hppa, given that nearly any HP backplane can show up
on nearly any machine, although some (like GSC) are more prone
to workstations, while others are more prone to servers.

- > (I suppose I should try and get an hppa-netbsd ELF target into binutils
- > before 2.12 ships :-)

	yes, please!

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	An expert is somebody who is more than 50 miles from home,