Subject: Re: When ???
To: None <bruno_cunha@cm-lisboa.pt>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-hp700
Date: 12/17/2000 18:05:41
On Sun 17 Dec, Bruno S. Cunha wrote:
> Hi!!
> I have at work a HP 9000 machine with Unix release 10.20 and there is a
> problem with the CDE. It just doesn't work, so I'm wondering when can
> expect a port of the NETBSD for HP PA RISC 9000 machine?

According to Eric Schoebelen, it will take a long time. At present there
is a cross-compiler, but nothing has been done on the booting side.

So, at present there is nothing, and it will probably stay that while
for some time.

I have not had the time to work on this port yet, but I plan to try to
find some time to do that in the (near) future.

I have an HP 9000 712/60 that is just waiting around idly for something
to happen, but I will probably install 10.20 on it soon and get it
networked with my NetBSD computers.

My problem with getting involved here is that I do not know the HP
hardware and NetBSD kernel well enough to be able to do something
sensible, but at least I hope that I will be able to get the
cross-compiler up and running so that I can start experimenting with my
own kernels booting over the network.

What I should probably investigate is if it is possible to set up my
NetBSD/sparc ss2 as an ignite server or something.

When the kernel is running, it shouldn't be too much work getting the
rest of NetBSD working, but there are quite a few hardware bits and
pieces that need a proper driver before that will happen.

At present I am involved in the NetBSD/arm26 port, so in time I hope to
be able to assist with the hp700 port as well.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://www.thomassen.priv.no/