Subject: Re: Off Topic Some - Accessing 712/60 with "standard" VGA monitor
To: David Rankin <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/24/2000 15:23:55
David Rankin writes:
- I've recently obtained a HP 712/80 that I'm going to use (among other
- things) for a NetBSD/hp700 test box.

	Welcome aboard!

-                                      Unfortunately, I didn't obtain
- a keyboard or a video card for the machine. This box will put some
- junk out the serial port during boot, but I'm 99% certain that this
- guy was not converted to serial console before I got it.

	Serial consoles on 712's are extremely rare outside of
HP..  So, the odds are the unit you have _isn't_ configured for
a serial console.  I _have_ posted the instructions for setting
a 712 to a serial console here before, and they should be
available in the archives..

- When plugging in a "generic" PS/2 keyboard & generic SVGA monitor,
- the monitor will power-up but not display anything. I know nothing of
- the box's OS configuration, so I can't wait for it to boot, either.

	As it boots, press escape.  It might/should start
cycling through monitor settings, and pressing space when
something becomes readable/stable should get you a basic
configuration.

	If it doesn't start cycling through monitor types, the
command `monitor 7' will get you a basic 640x480 display
configuration. You'll probably have to type that blind, several
seconds after pressing escape (have to wait for the BOOT_ADMIN>
prompt, which you may not be able to see.)

- Can anyone suggest a course of action for me from here? I'd greatly
- appreciate it.

	I hope this helps,
		Eric

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
		Q: What kind of a dog says: "bofh! bofh!" ?