Subject: Re: Recent Status (was: HPPA Port Interest.)
To: Todd T. Fries <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <email@example.com>
Date: 01/14/2000 16:57:13
"Todd T. Fries" writes:
- On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 12:49:49AM -0500, Michael Shalayeff wrote:
- > 2. to setup a serial console that way it would require having a monitor
- > anyway, so why not use it? (:
- > > - fyi, 712 does not support serial console.
- > >
- > > Actually, it does, although not in a natural, intuitive way.
- > > Inside HP, they have/had a large number of them set up headless
- > > for various purposes. However, it is not a configuration
- > > supported outside of HP.
- Very useful info, about the serial console. Now, does it stay
- set once set? Aka across reboots, it'll stay around?
Sorry to take so long in responding, but I hadn't had a
chance to test the serial console settings on one of my 712's..
Having done so today, I can say that it does hold over
reboots/power-offs (as I had expected.) Here's the output from
the test 712:
Processor revision 2.2 60MHz
Instruction Cache Size: 32768
Data Cache Size: 32768
Memory Size: 80 MB
Built in floating point coprocessor
Board Serial Number 401101RD6M
BootRom Version 1.5
auto boot on
auto search on
Primary boot path: scsi.6.0
Alternate boot path: lan.000000-000000.0.0
Console path: rs232.9600.8.none
LAN Station Addresses: 080009-93F952
Hmm, I see that I should update the boot roms on this
machine.. The 2.3 set are available on the HP web/ftp site as a
Eric Schnoebelen firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.cirr.com
There has been an alarming increase in the number of things
you know nothing about.