Port-hp300 archive

Re: HP 9000-382 based instrument panics on cnopen()

On Sep 27, 2021, at 9:40 AM, Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:

>>> 2. Is there a way to have the hp300 port use the simple text
>>> interface that most graphics cards provide for its console, if I
>>> can't (or I don't want to) use a "graphical" console?
>
>> AFAIK no hp300 framebuffer has "text" mode such as VGA.
>
> As far as I can tell, the notion of a hardware text mode is basically
> an artifact of the peecee world - and has infested lot of PCI video,
> because much of PCI wants to be peecee-compatible.

Many early workstations also had a console “text” mode, particularly the HP where text and graphics were distinct. This was particularly the case for the 9000-200 series. Later models continued to support this for compatibility, and this eventually led to ITE.

  — Chris