Subject: Re: Trouble booting
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/22/2005 03:39:20
>> The card at ID 14 is the 98658A, and seeing it called ID39 rather
>> than 98658A makes me suspect the bootroms don't recognize it and
>> hence can't boot from it - anyone know whether this is so?  (14 is
>> indeed the number set on the card's DIP switches as its id.)
> You don't say what model hp300 you're trying it on, but based on the
> 68020, I'm guessing a 320.

I don't know.  The front panel just has a little plate with the
Hewlett-Packard logo and name, then the number 300 set fairly large,
and in much smaller type just above it (and flush right), the number
9000.  I take it this makes it an HP9000/300, but I don't know how to
get anything more precise than that.

> My memory's a little dusty on the human interface board for that
> model, but it might have "fast" HPIB built in and set to ID 14.

It has HP-IB built in on the HI board, yes - but I don't think it's at
ID 14.  When I put the SCSI card in, I removed another board which was
at ID 14.  Just to check, I tried pulling the SCSI card and putting
nothing in its place, and sure enough, the bootrom output doesn't
mention anything at all "at 14".  To be extra-sure, I changed the ID
switches from 01110 to 01101 and put it back in, and now I see ID39 at
13 - I consider these, in aggregate, pretty conclusive. :)

>> Also, from years ago when I was playing with this, I seem to recall
>> that there's a way to get into some kind of menu of bootable
>> devices.
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hp300/faq.html#bootrom

That is only partially accurate for my machine.

The <return>-twice thing does not work.  Before it starts SEARCHING FOR
A SYSTEM, return does nothing; after, it just pauses and unpauses.  ^C
works as described, though it takes a disturbingly long time from
typing ^C to getting any feedback.  Not mentioned is that any letter is
echoed in the lower right corner, and that digits affect a two-digit
number displayed just to the left of the letter - they look like the
system IDs discussed in faq.html at the #bootsearch anchor.

Of course, the really annoying part is, I'm not sure whether it's not
finding the system because it doesn't grok the card or because I
botched putting it on the disk.  I seem to remember using some LIF
tools, which might be able to help, but I can't find them now - perhaps
my memory has bitrotted and I didn't use them, or not under NetBSD.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign