Subject: Booting Console on 400t with A1416A
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Alex van Denzel <alx-hp300@adenzel.demon.nl>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/19/2004 00:15:34
Maybe someone has had this problem before:

I have a 400t with an A1416A display interface, diskless, connected to
my network.

I have a i386 box running NetBSD/i386, with the necessary services, NFS
exports and configuration files. I also have untarred some
NetBSD/hp300-1.6.2 sets to the exported filesystems.

When I boot the 400t in remote mode[1] the system works fine. I even
tried its functionality by building a custom kernel. It took about 1
hour for the make depend, and 5h30 for the make, but it works.

When I boot the machine in local mode[2], the system grabs the
bootstraploader SYS_UBOOT, and loads the kernel. That takes some time,
but gets loaded eventually. Then it shows a line telling me the
entry-point of the kernel, and that's it.

Nothing.

Also no indication that the system is running with its console output on
a (to me) invisible display. The status lights are all off, no heartbeat
blinkyblink, no network activity.

Does anyone know something about this issue?

Thanks,
Alex.

[1] In the firmware I selected the RS232 serial port as console.

[2] The console is selected in the firmware, using the A1416A as display
device, and a HIL Keyboard and mouse connected to the HIL port. Of
course the system is set in HP-UX mode.