Subject: Re: RAM upgrade
To: Carlo Vinante <vinante@igi.pd.cnr.it>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/25/2003 14:57:23
Hello,

> You would say that's better to set-up a new machine, aren't you ?
Not at all - have a look at the 345's mainboard - the processor ( with
cache and the FPU ) sits on a L-shaped board that plugs in a socket which
can take a 68040. All you need for a processor upgrade (besides the 68040)
is a new oscillator ( twice the frequency of the 68040 ) and a new PROM.

> OK; I have a HP9000 425 Apollo (I guess) just "arrived" ... what do you
> think about ?
25MHz '040 ? - not bad at all :-)
Pray that you have a supported framebuffer.

> By the way ... have you never installed the Open BSD on these machines ?
No, I started with NetBSD 1.1 and now my 345 runs 1.6.

> If yes, have you used the bootable CDROM ?
No again, I've always installed via network or a ZIP disk.

have fun
Michael