Subject: Re: NFS Boot hangs while loading kernel
To: None <g.mcgarry@ieee.org, Mario.Premke@epost.de>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/02/2003 10:47:48
In article <20030202123832.B9447@ieee.org>
g.mcgarry@ieee.org wrote:

> Mario Premke wrote:
>
> > Looking at the recent postings on the list, the kernel seems to be a common
> > problem for RAM limited machines ... is there somewhere a smaller kernel
> > around - without disk driver and the other stuff, only for nfs-booting ???
>
> No.

It seems INSTALL kernel could be shrinked:
- file-system KERNFS is not needed if ramdiskbin contains x_dmesg
- maxusers could be reduced (I guess 4 is enough)
- The number of pseudo-device bpfilter could be reduces (or simply be disabled)
- (options USERCONF is actually required?)

> > (BTW, I have a gcc-2.7.2.2 68K crosscompiler on my box, will that do a
> > kernel compilation?)

gcc-2.7.2.2 cross package is left only for a.out environment.
To build -current binaries, build.sh is enough. see
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/BUILDING

---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp