Subject: Re: Problem booting miniroot 1.6B
To: Chris Rupnik <crupnik@videotron.ca>
From: Sageev T. George <sageev@bmsrs.usc.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/19/2002 23:05:12
Chris:
There has been some recent discussion regarding this problem.
Bernd Sieker and I had suffered the same problem (on his
433 and on my 425t).  It has something to do with a bug
that affects Topcat framebuffer: the computer cannot
output to the console after that entry point.

Turns out that your computer probably is completing the
boot process.  Problem, you would have to have a
serial port console set up to see it.

I'm hoping that there will be some work done on the
console code so that this bug will be removed.
I'm pretty sure that this is your problem, because
I too had no problem with 1.5

On the bright side, I was able to install the
1.6Beta snapshot using a serial console.

There is pretty good documentation for setting
up the serial console if you decide to go that route.

-Sageev